Grand Opening of the second floor at the Alexander Black House & Cultural Center
The Grand Opening of the second floor restoration at the Alexander Black House & Cultural Center in Blacksburg will take place on Saturday, October 5, at the Black House in Blacksburg. An open house for the public will be held from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm that day.
The Black House is located at 204 Draper Road in downtown Blacksburg, directly across from the entrance to Blacksburg's Kent Square parking garage.
In December 2002, the Black House was moved about a hundred yards to the southwest from its original Main Street location to its present Draper Road location.
The house was originally built in 1897 for Alexander Black and his family. Black was a successful local businessman whose great-great-grandfather Samuel Black was one of the first settlers in our region, having purchased 650 acres of land at the nearby frontier farming community of Drapers Meadow. It was this Samuel Black who lent his name to the town of Blacksburg when it was created in 1798.
The Alexander Black House & Cultural Center , also considered "Blacksburg's Living Room", serves as a cultural center, museum and art gallery and an event rental venue. It officially opened in August 2014 as the town's cultural center following the restoration of its outside and first floor.
Now, five years later, thanks to the generosity of many individuals and local businesses, the second floor has been restored.